Overcoming Difficult Situations

I’m gonna go ahead and preface this by saying I believe in God. I believe that Jesus went to the cross for us so that we may all have salvation. I hope and pray that everyone would believe in this as well, at the same time I will NEVER push my faith on anyone else. With that said this Sunday at church our pastor, Pastor Dan, did an awesome sermon on overcoming difficult situations and I wanted to share some points that are totally applicable to EVERYONE!

Untitled

Pastor Dans sermon on Overcoming Difficult Situations really hit home with me. He went over 5 key things to help. I diligently took notes during the service, as I always do, however I wanted to share what I learned on Sunday. We are currently going through the book of Daniel, and this past week we were looking at Daniels personality. It was rather interesting that is for sure.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

This was the first verse he brought to our attention and it has STUCK with me. From here he went on to give us 5 key areas and characteristics to strive to have all while tying it into how Daniel had all of these characteristics.

1. Be a person of Character.

Daniel 1:8, 2:14 Purpose your mind to be a overcomer and have integrity. Proverbs 10:9 Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but whoever takes crooked paths will be found out. Be who you say you are and don’t try to be someone you are not.

2. Be a person that is Solutions Oriented.

Daniel 2:14-16. Go straight to the source and figure out what to do to solve the problem. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who gives me strength. Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

3. Be a person of Prayer.

Daniel 2:17-18 Always go to the Lord with your problems and seek his guidance. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

4. Be a person who is Humble yet Confident.

Daniel 2:24, 27 & 28. Pastor Dan made a excellent point using sports as an example. How many times have you seen interviews with football players where you want to just turn it off because they are being arrogant? Don’t be like that. Be humble and confident at the same time. It’s hard but it will only benefit you in the long run. Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

5. Be a person who Values Others.

Daniel 2:17 & 49. Use your blessings to bless others. Be an inspiration to others. Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Other key things Pastor Dan touched on that I do not want to forget:

-Put effort and energy into being what God wants you to be.

-Believe that God knows best no matter the outcome of your difficult situation.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you home and a future.:

I have 14 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on Overcoming Difficult Situations

Pinky says:
    January 21, 2014

What a great great sermon. Too many people are whiny and complainy instead of being service and solution oriented! Sometimes life totally sucks, but it’s who we turn to to fix it that has our back :)!

January 21, 2014

Yes! I loved Sundays service! I love when a service sticks with me for more than just the day. You are absolutely correct that there are a lot of whiny and complain-y people in the world. Hopefully they will see the light!

January 21, 2014

This is a great post that I really need to reflect upon. I like how you took the information from sermon and discussed it, while also offering generalized “lessons” from the sermon for people who aren’t religious. Well done post and thanks for giving me something to think about today!

January 21, 2014

Thank you! I loved this weeks service and like I said it really struck me and stuck with me and I just felt like I NEEDED to share it with everyone.

Mary says:
    January 21, 2014

This is a great sermon with many great points. I love when a sermon moves you to the point that it makes you want to think more about it discuss it with others.

January 21, 2014

Yes I thought it was an awesome sermon! I am still thinking about it. Clearly! 🙂

January 21, 2014

I agree with Caitlin above, how it’s great that you took the sermon and turned it into something that everyone – even those who aren’t religious – can learn from. Very nice post!

January 21, 2014

Thanks! I just couldn’t sit on it and NOT share it ya know?

January 22, 2014

Hi Nikki,

I loved your post, mainly because it is refreshing to see bloggers who are not ashamed of their faith and who live out their faith publicly. I like what Pastor Dan’s 5 keys covered. In this day and age it is so important that people have faith and stay grounded. So many people are falling away left and right and if they don’t have that strong biblical foundation or belief in God they will be swayed in every way and in every direction looking for solutions to their problems.

January 22, 2014

Thank you! This means so much to me! I am not ashamed of my faith at all. I LOVED this message and I just needed to share it with everyone!

January 23, 2014

I love this post, Nikki. I’m going to write these 6 things down (along with the verses) and do some thinking about it. I think you shouldn’t worry about speaking about God in your posts. He’s an important part of your life. Your faith makes you who you are. Expressing who you are makes reading your blog interesting. I talk about my faith in God all the time in my blog and I’ve never had anyone complain about it (and I’ve been writing for a long, long time). You may never know who you’ve helped because you shared your experience here.

January 23, 2014

Thank you! You are absolutely correct you NEVER know who you are impacting when you share something be it faith or anything for that matter! I am glad you enjoyed the post! 🙂

aimee fauci says:
    January 30, 2014

I should have this taped to my fridge…

January 30, 2014

It is something I have come back to a few times since the sermon!