Why We Don’t Post a lot of Photos of #babybigtruck

Hey friends!

Happy Thursday!

Yesterday on my way home from work I heard a staggering statistic that made me think.

By the age of 5 most parents would have posted over 973 photos of their children on social media including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.

**Before I even get into this if you post photos of your child alone more kudos to you and you do what is best for you and your family. What I am about to share is what Mr. Big Truck and I feel is best for our family.**

That got me thinking. That is nuts!

Now I am sure y’all have noticed that we do not post photos of #babybigtruck alone forward facing unless there is someone else in the photo with her, or her face is obstructed, and by someone else I mean an adult. You will also notice that I watermark all our photos right across her face. I do not care that it will interfere with being able to see her. Her safety is more important to me than anyone on the internet being able to see her face clearly.

IMG_0872s

You know what else you wont see on this here little blog or on any public social media? Her name. We will only call her #babybigtruck on here and IG. On Facebook we will occasionally use her name but even still most of the time we will refer to her as #babybigtruck. Mr. Big Truck and I will also delete comments on IG if someone uses her real name. I recently had that happen actually. I personally reached out to the person who used her name and told them that we do not want it out there and that I was going to delete her comment and ya know what she was okay with it. Even if she was not I still would have still deleted the comment. It’s called internet safety. My daughter is only 1 and has no say in what is posted on the internet of her. Until she is old enough to understand what the hazards of posting on the internet are we will be the one to make those decision.

Ya know what else I will do? I will ask others NOT to post photos of my child especially if they are taking photos of my child alone. To this day I have not had any issues with this and I hope never to have them.

Call Mr. Big Truck and I over protective or what have you but we are her parents and we make the rules.

So why do we have these rules?

Because there are so many crazy people out there who are stealing photos and trying to pass them off as their own. I have heard it happening to so many people. Some people who I know through social media have gone through it and it breaks my heart.

Because there are so many child predators out there who troll social media to find their next victim and learn all they can about them so they can get their grubby nasty hands on them and do whatever it may be to them. Sick I know.

Because her safety is on us.

I know I can not protect her from everything but I also know that Mr. Big Truck and I are on the same page and have discussed this issue and we are on the same page about all of this.

If you are a parent I would STRONGLY suggest you to think about this before you post any more photos of your child/ren alone.

I have 11 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on Why We Don’t Post a lot of Photos of #babybigtruck

jannabogert says:
    May 28, 2015

Kudos to you. I used to think it annoying that my SIL wouldn’t let me post pictures of her kids, but now I can understand. For us and this society, I don’t know how realistic to think that I can protect our daughter from social media as well as you do, but you definitely seem to make it work. For us, I’m not as worried about people stealing her photos as I am the ISIS threat. It’s almost made me want to quit blogging, but then I remember that given up a freedom I have is only letting them win. This whole social media world is crazy and scary, but I’m very happy that you have found a way to make your family feel safe!!

May 28, 2015

Thanks! I can absolutely see how ISIS is a serious concern for you and I hope you nevere have to have any run in with that what so ever! Good for you for not quitting but rather just making sure you post smart which I think you do! As far as how much you will protect CQB on social media is totally up to you and I know you will figure out what is best for you guys you are a smart mama!

LJ says:
      May 28, 2015

Has there been a specific ISIS threat against bloggers? I’ve heard that they try to recruit people through social media, but has there been something more specific? I was thinking of starting a blog, but this worries me a bit.

lutskym says:
    May 28, 2015

I agree, we need to protect our children. I’m also amazed at what people post about their children’s personal habits. Give your children some privacy!

May 28, 2015

YES YES YES! I absolutely agree! PRIVACY is something that is also a big one for us! I have seen photos of kids NAKED sitting on a potty or even in the bath and while yes they are cute they do not belong on the internet! But hey to each their own! Naked and potty photos are another thing you will not see on our blog or other social media!

Michael says:
    May 28, 2015

I commend you both for doing this. It’s not something I do specifically regarding my niece but more on a general level. If someone tags me, I have to approve it. My Facebook page is private. I have become a lot more aware of things I post in public forums because the reality is it never goes away.

I recently noticed that Faceboo now has a scrapbook option for kids’ photos. I’m in the process of setting that up for Little Miss and deleting the page I made for her (which is private) because of family.

May 28, 2015

Thank you! I have to reset my facebook settings regarding tagging thanks for reminding me!

Enlighten me more on this scrapbook option for kids’ photos please!

May 28, 2015

I think this is a great idea! All parents should decide what works best for them and do it.

June 9, 2015

Thanks! It is something that means a lot to me and I agree all parents should do what is best for their families!

Amanda says:
    June 1, 2015

Great idea! I love that you prefaced that this is what works best for your family- not that I personally would have taken any offense, but I think it is too common that when someone posts their own opinions on their own site, sometimes it gets skewed like “THIS IS LAW” and thats not whats happening at all! You’re great!

June 9, 2015

Thanks! I always try to make it crystal clear that I am not trying to make a law or tell others how to raise their kids because it is not my place but I love sharing what we are doing.