The Words a Parent Does Not Want to Hear…

Hey Friends!

Life has been hectic lately. I wanted to post a few times last week but that did not happen.


Well it all started Wednesday at noon. I was sitting at my desk at work minding my own business when I got a phone call from #babybigtrucks school. As soon as I saw the words “Day Care” on my phone I knew something was wrong. I was told that #babybigtruck was not feeling well and she was having a hard time breathing. Those are the words that no parent wants to hear.

The director I was on the phone with told me that #babybigtruck had her 10:30 albuterol treatment went out to play and when she came in and sat to have lunch she was just not herself. They told me that she did not eat breakfast and that she was breathing heavy. I packed up -by packed up I mean I threw everything in my desk locked it and hightailed it and went right to school. I left work at 12:05 and by 12:15 they had called me back saying that her breathing had gotten worse. I told them to give her another albuterol treatment and I would be there in 10 minutes.

As soon as I walked in and saw her I knew she was having an asthma attack. I saw it in her face. I picked her up and I immediately felt that she was warmer than normal. When I asked if anyone had taken her temp they said they had and it was normal. We took it one more time before I left and it still said normal however I knew that HAD to be wrong she was way warmer than normal for her not to have a temp. I packed her up and we set out for the hospital. I had to call her doctor to see which hospital they wanted me to take her to and once they did we were at the hospital by 1:30.

When we got to the hospital they took her temp rectal-y and sure enough she was running a 103.2 fever they immediately gave her Tylenol. She was also given a breathing treatments. Her breathing slowed however the fever stayed. About 3:30 I had asked the nurse to take her temp again because she still felt really hot to me. Again her temp was 103.2 this time they gave her Motrin. She was given another breathing treatment and she was also given an oral steroid to help her lungs relax. Her temp was taken again and still it was running high so they gave her more Tylenol. Well after all that she was coughing and I could see it on her face and I said to myself she is gonna puke. Sure enough not two minutes later girlfriend puked all over me. Since she had just thrown up all the meds the decided to give her one last dose of Tylenol rectal-y. Finally at 5pm we were released. We got home and I tried to give her some dinner and she wanted nothing to do with it. I can not say that I blamed her as she was not feeling well but I also knew that she had not had anything to eat since that morning. Poor thing.

Thursday morning we got up and she was still running a fever. I continued with the Motrin and Tylenol route to keep it at bay. She actually ate a little bit of breakfast but nothing like what she would normally eat. We hung out at home most of the day with the exception of going to the ENT for a follow-up since she was supposed to have tubes put in her ears the following Monday. Thankfully her doctor said that even with a slight fever he would move forward with the surgery. He also told me that her one ear had some fluid in it and the other looked good. After her appointment we went to Panera which is right across the street from the doctor’s office and #babybigtruck did a number on some mac n cheese. I figured she had to be starving. That evening rolled around and her fever was still high so she went to bed with a dose of Motrin.

Friday morning we got up and she was on day 3 of 100 plus fever. I called her doctor at 9am and made an appointment for her at 1:30pm that afternoon. When we got there her fever was finally under control thanks to the Motrin. She was tested for strep which came back negative and she also had a urinalysis done. First of all what a disaster that was trying to collect the specimen from a 13 month old. I will do you all the favor and spare you the details. FINALLY we got what we needed and we were able to go home. By the time we got home I tried to feed her some dinner but still she was not eating as she normally does.

By the time the weekend rolled around the fever had finally broke and we had some things planned and we went ahead with our plans as they were nothing crazy. At this point #babybigtruck had been fever free for 24-48 hours.

The final diagnosis was that she had a sever asthma attack and she also was fighting off some kind of virus. I am not 100% sure what virus exactly she was fighting but I can tell you that I am so so glad that she is finally feeling better and going back to school tomorrow!


I will also say that this past week has been straight up the most exhausting week I have lived through since I have had #babybigtruck. I mean even more exhausting than when she was first-born.

  Hugs, Nikki

I have 6 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on The Words a Parent Does Not Want to Hear…

  1. avatar
    pinky says:
    June 15, 2015

    Oh, Nikki, I am soooo sorry #babybigtruck has had to deal with all those issues. That’s no fun for any human, especially a barely one year old :(! I am glad the virus is gone and hope the tubes work!!! Prayers and love!

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      June 17, 2015

      Thank you! It’s been a long, rough, and exhausting road but I am glad we have finally come to the end and now hope and pray that things will ease up for her.

  2. avatar
    Alison says:
    June 22, 2015

    You poor mama. How awful. 🙁 I hope she is all better!!!

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      June 22, 2015

      Thanks! I feel terrible that we missed you while you were out this way!

  3. avatar
    Alana says:
    June 30, 2015

    Oh my goodness! I would have been freaking out! I’m so glad you finally got her fever to break! Hopefully the tubes have helped!

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      June 30, 2015

      Yeah it was not a fun call to be on the receiving end of that is for sure! The tubes seem to be helping big time!

Leave a Reply