Being healthy was not something I was when I was growing up. Now a days though I am very health conscious. For those of you who do not know I used to be heavy. Like 280 pounds heavy. You can read about my weight loss journey here.
That was me in 2001 when I graduated high school. I was over 200 pounds there. At my heaviest I was 280 and I realized I had had enough. I had been bullied all my life for my weight. In school kids would call me all kinds of name and even once I got out of school the bullying did not stop. Turns out adults are just as mean as kids are if not meaner.
I started my current job in May of 2003 and that is when I started to really watch what I was doing and take control of my life. That is when I really started to care about what I was eating and working out. Fast forward to 2016 I have have kept the weight off all these years.
Today I not only have to keep my health in mind but I also have to keep the health of my family in mind as well. Mr. Big Truck and I are both very conscious of what we eat and try to keep a good balance. For us the 80/20 rule works great for us. We also want to make sure that #babybigtruck knows the importance of being healthy.
Things we do to keep our family healthy:
- We try to make smart choices. We tend to use brown rice or quinoa instead of pasta. We will also do spaghetti squash instead of regular spaghetti.
- We typically go for lean meats. Chicken and turkey are staples in our freezer. From time to time we will throw in some pork, beef and even venison. Fish is also a staple in our house.
- We make sure we eat breakfast every morning. Every morning we start our day with eggs and turkey sausage. Most mornings we eat as a family before we all set off in our separate ways for the day which is a great way to start our day.
- Bring Lunch and snacks from home. We bring our own lunch and snacks to work. Most days I have a salad packed with all kinds of veggies and even fruit mixed in. Sometimes I will bring left overs from the nigh before. Snacks are typically fruit or veggies sticks and hummus. Currently #babybigtruck gets her lunch at school but I have say over what she gets and I know she is getting healthy meals school! A favorite snack is some whole wheat toast with some natural peanut butter and granola. Another is chopped up apple with natural peanut butter on a rice cake!
- Home made dinners. Most nights Mr. Big Truck or myself will make dinner at home. Now don’t get me wrong we do got out from time to time but we like to know what we are cooking and know how it is prepared. Dinner always consists of a meat of some kind and a veggie. We also will have sweet potatoes which is a crowd pleaser in these parts.
- Stay physical! I try to get 3 workouts a week in. In the winter it tends to be a little harder as we can not be outside and go for family hikes or walks so I try to do BodyPump or BodyCombat at home after #babybigtruck goes to sleep. I will also so core training and pushups and use #babybigtruck as extra weight when we are kicking it in the living room. It is important to me that she sees me working out and staying physically fit as an example to her. In the warmer months we are always out and about either doing family walks or hikes and soon enough we will be getting everyone new bikes and doing family bike rides! I can not wait!
- Vitamins & Supplements. Both Mr. Big Truck and I take our vitamins and supplements daily to help keep our insides working properly and help keep us living the best life possible! We both started with a 24 Day Challenge which changed our life and we have stayed on products since and have no plans of coming off. You can read about our challenge results here if you are interested.
I hope these tips help you and motive you to get on your own health journey or continue on your current health journey! And if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!