#babybigtruck2 Birth Story

Hello Friends!

Today is my first full day home alone with both girls and they are both napping right now so I thought I would take advantage of the moment and try to fill y’all in on the birth story of #babybigtruck2.

Friday October 28th 2016 started off as any typical day. I got up got myself together and then got #babybigtruck together and ready to go to what was supposed to be her last day of school. After I dropped her off I had to go to my OB appointment and then I was planning to go to BJ’s and the grocery store before going back to school to watch the Halloween parade and take #babybigtruck trunk-or-treating.


So I drop off #babybigtruck at school and head to my doctor appointment and that is where everything changed. I checked in got my blood presser taken and it was elevated for me. I go into the examination room and wait for the doctor to come in. Dr. Conley comes in and after the normal chit-chat and him checking me we dropped the bomb on me. While I was measuring right on target and #babybigtruck2 heart beat was great I had as I knew elevated blood pressure and I had protein in my urine. I had swelling for weeks and as soon as he said protein in your urine I knew right then and there that it was game over. Dr. Conley said he wanted me to go right to the hospital and get some blood work done and to get monitored and that he would be at the hospital about 12:30 and he would check on me and see what my blood results showed.

I left the doctor’s office and called Mike to let him know what was going on. I told him not to rush out of work just yet and that I would let him know as soon as I knew what was going on. I also called my mom who just happened to leave for Arizona the day before to tell her I called it that she would leave and I would wind up having the baby. Little did I know that I would actually have the baby that day. I called her and said that more so to taunt her.

I got to the hospital and had no clue where I was going because ironically enough my hospital tour was not scheduled until November 5th which clearly I am not going to now. After I got up to the right floor and checked in and hooked up my phone went off. I got a text message from my brother saying he would be at the hospital in a little bit. I said ok.

About 1pm the nurse who by the way I loved said that I was going to have an ultrasound and a consult with the perinatologist. After the ultrasound the perinatologist said he wanted me to deliver because my blood platelets were low, and I had preeclampsia. My brother turned around and said when is this gonna happen and the doctors looked at him and said right now. I swear I thought my brother was going to lose it by the look on his face. I asked if we could wait till Mike got to the hospital and they said yes of course. Plus I had to set up some child care for #babybigtruck until after #babybigtruck2 was here and Mike could go and get her. I called Mike and filled him in on what was going on and he was on his way to the hospital. I shot a message to my friend Denise asking her to take #babybigtruck home from school when she picked up her daughter. She said yes of course then I called the school and filled them in and they were just amazing and so easy to work with. What was supposed to be her last day of school wound up not being her last day. Thankfully they let us send #babybigtruck the following Monday through Wednesday while I was in the hospital this way we did not have to worry about her.

They put me in a room and I changed into a gown and took off my jewelry and Mike walked in. I called my mom and filled her in and she was so upset that she was not around to be there with us. Dr. Conley came in the room and we joking around and I said to him you were the one to tell me I was pregnant and you are the one who is going to deliver me and we just laughed. He also made a joke about this being the “shortest pregnancy” he has ever treated as in shortest because I only knew I was pregnant for 14 weeks.

Mike walked into the room and was a bundle of nerves. After I calmed him down and told him that everything was going to be fine the baby is not in distress or anything he calmed down and he was given scrubs and he changed.


Next thing we knew it was go time. I literally walked into the OR and got on the table and got my spinal block. It was a weird feeling to feel my body from the waist down go totally numb. It was one of the weirdest things ever. They got me all prepped and ready and then Mike came in. Next thing I knew Dr. Conley and his crew were doing what they do best and all of a sudden #babybigtruck2 was held up over the curtain. She was here and she was perfect.



They finished up doing what they had to do and took #babybigtruck2 to the nursery with Mike. After the procedure I was taken to recovery and the nurse brought #babybigtruck to me to do some skin to skin and let her nurse before they put her in the NICU for the mandatory 48 hours because she was born at 35 weeks.

After a couple of hours in recovery they took me to the mother baby unit and got me settled into my room for the night. Mike stayed until I got settled then left to go get #babybigtruck and settle her in for the night and pack some stuff for me.

Saturday Mike came to the hospital with #babybigtruck but sadly she was not able to meet her sister that day as #babybigtruck2 was still in the NICU. It was nice to be able to visit with them and let #babybigtruck at least see her sister through the nursery glass window. After they left I went to the NICU to spend some time with #babybigtruck2 before I called it a night. I was there maybe an hour before I was just spent. I got back to my room and settled into bed and that’s when things went array. All of a sudden I started having pain from the right side of my neck down my right arm into the right side of my chest and stomach. I called for help and the next thing I knew there were 30 people in my room and someone called for a crash cart and I remember asking if I was going to die. From what I was told my heart rate spiked up over 200 and my blood pressure spiked. They took me to the cardiac floor to have a full cardiac workup done and put me on a heart monitor I wound up being on that floor for two nights. I was beside myself because I could not see #babybigtruck2. I was so sad and depressed it was torturous. I was told I was going for the remainder of the testing I had to get first thing in the morning Sunday.

Sunday morning I was told I was going to go for an ultrasound of my stomach and legs to see if I had thrown a blood clot and to see if I had a gallbladder attack which apparently is common after pregnancy. Who knew.?!?! I was told once I had the tests and the results I could go back to the mother baby unit. I was expecting to go as soon as the nurse came in but then the next bomb was dropped on me I was not going until Monday morning. To say I was sad is putting it mildly. I wanted to lose my mind. I wanted to go back to my baby who at this point I had only spent 1 hour with since she was born. The nurse could see how upset I was and called to the nursery to see if the baby could be brought to me for a visit even if it was for 20 minutes. Mind you she was still in the NICU. Thankfully she was the only one in the NICU and the NICU nurse was able to pack her up and bring her down to me. She stayed for about 20 to 30 minutes most of which I got to hold her and then pass her off to Mike to hold her for a bit before she went back to the NICU.

Monday morning the nurse walked in and I asked what time I was going down for my tests and then the next bomb was dropped. I was not scheduled to go down until 1:30 in the afternoon. My OB walked in shortly after I was told what was going on to check on me and I lost it. She was super sweet and went up to the nursery and got #babybigtruck and brought her down to visit with me before she had to go in for her next c-section. Talk about a doctor going above and beyond the call of duty for their patient. 1:30pm came and went and I was still sitting in my room and I was getting anxious. I called the nurse to see what was going on and FINALLY at 2:30pm they took me down. I was back in the room by 3 and my OB came back in and said that enough was enough clearly I was feeling better and she was putting in the order to move me back to the mother baby unit even though they had not gotten the results of my scans yet. It was music to my ears! By 4pm I was back in my room on the mother baby unit and by 4:30pm #babybigtruck2 was with me. We were finally able to start bonding and nursing her! I was finally with my baby. by 5:30pm Mike and #babybigtruck were walking in the room and #babybigtruck finally was able to meet and hold and help feed her baby sister.


#babybigtruck was in love from the minute she was on the bed helping me feed #babybigtruck2. We were finally together as a family of 4. Mike and #babybigtruck left about 7pm and I had #babybigtruck2 go back to the nursery so I could finally shower and clean up from delivery. She came back about 45 minutes to an hour later and we hung out for a bit. She wound up going back to the nursery one more time because she still had to do her car seat test so I took a pain pill and took advantage of being able to get some sleep before that luxury was no longer available. By 2am #babybigtruck2 came back to my room for the last time and was with me until the time we were discharged Tuesday afternoon.

It was a long and tiresome 4 days. It was another crazy chaotic delivery and recovery. I am convinced my body does not like being pregnant as both my girls were born early and there were complications with both girls as well. If you really wanna know you can read the birth story for #babybigtruck too. Never a dull moment that’s for sure but both my girls are healthy and happy and that is all that matters to Mike and I.

  Hugs, Nikki

I have 12 Lovely Comments, I would love to have yours... on #babybigtruck2 Birth Story

  1. avatar
    Alana says:
    November 4, 2016

    Oh my goodness!! I’m so glad you and baby are okay after that rollercoaster! NICU is no fun and being separated from the baby is even worse 😞

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      Thank you! It definitely was crazy pants! I hated being separated from her. Both my girls were NICU babies and I am very thankful that they both got amazing care while they were in there!

  2. avatar
    Pinky says:
    November 5, 2016

    Glad all is well in the end, but holy cow what a crazy pants story. Sending you lots of love as you recover and begin to find your groove as a family of four :)! Love you!

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      Thank you love! Yeah it was definitely a crazy pants experience for sure! I am so glad it is over and we are home as a family! Finding our groove is another story in and of itself thats for sure.

  3. avatar
    November 7, 2016

    Oh my goodness. I am so glad that you and babybigtruck2 are ok. I had no clue recovery went so roughly. Did they ever get your scans back? Are you on any supplements or anything? I lost so much blood during delivery (emergency c-section) that I was on iron supplements for 6 months. I had a traumatic birth and recovery and it sounds like you did too. So thankful that you guys are ok. How’s recovery going?

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      Yeah it was definitely not a good recovery. I am convinced my body does not like being pregnant. I am not on anything other than my prenatal right now. Got my scans back and everything came back clear thankfully. I need to make a followup appointment with a heart doctor because of the fact that my heart rate went so high but other than that everything has been good since that episode.

  4. avatar
    Tiffany says:
    November 7, 2016

    Oh my gosh girl!! You poor thing!! Thank goodness all is well. What a whirlwind of a pregnancy and such a crazy delivery. How strange is the numbness from the spinal!! I remember poking my thighs and they felt numb and huge haha. I’m glad you’re all safe & sound!! And congratulations on #2

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      Thank you so much! Yeah post delivery was a mess. I was fine with them taking her early I honestly half expected it only because I went early with my first as well. I also had a feeling I was going to develop preeclampsia because of how I was feeling and the symptoms I had.

  5. avatar
    Kenya says:
    November 9, 2016

    Your girls just like to have grand entrances. I”m glad your NICU stay was short and that you were able to spend so much time with her while you were admitted!!!! Once we are back from vacation, going to reach out to setup a date so I can meet the newest miracle baby. 🙂 Love you guys!

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      Ha! Right?!? I won’t lie though I am glad it is over! I do not wish a NICU stay on anyone nor do I wish a early delivery on anyone nor do I wish complications on anyone but man I am sooooooo glad it is over! I was not able to spend much time with her while I was admitted because of the complications I had post delivery not fun. DEFINITELY let me know when you wanna come by after your amazing vacation I wish I was going on! Love you!

  6. avatar
    November 10, 2016

    So crazy that you only knew you were pregnant for 14 weeks out of this whole thing. Such a cool story, though! I’m sorry you had so much going on with this delivery, but I’m so glad you guys are all healthy and at home! 🙂

    • avatar
      Nikki says:
      November 13, 2016

      DEFINITELY crazy but at the same time I am kinda glad I only knew for such a short time because of everything that happened last year with my eptopic and then the fertility treatments I think if I knew I was pregnant from the get go I would have been a mess! God definitely knew what he was doing with that and I am so thankful that he knows whats best for me. We are so happy to be home as a family now though which is what is important!

Leave a Reply